In my pre-SCD days I used to love a good casserole. I loved casseroles that were creamy, cheesy, full of noodles and all around not healthy yumminess. For my last grocery shopping order I received a huge bunch of spinach and I needed to find a way to not let any of it go to waste. I came up with a Spinach & Chicken Casserole. It is creamy, cheesy, and I used the Butter Biscuit recipe from Comfy Belly for the top of it. My husband actually liked it and he rarely says that my SCD food is good. I thought I used too much garlic, but he did not think so. Overall, I would make this again.
- 2 cups of shredded or diced chicken
- 1 cup of Dripped SCD yogurt
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of chopped spinach (packed)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic (I may use 1 next time)
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- Notes: I dry my own herbs, if you use commercial herbs, make sure they are SCD legal. I think the Penzy brand is legal.
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all of the ingredients together, chicken, yogurt, cheese, spinach, onion, garlic, pepper, mustard, salt
- Bake for 10 minutes the take out of the oven.
- While it is baking, mix together one recipe of Comfy Belly’s Butter Biscuit recipe.
- Roll out the biscuit recipe and cut out he biscuits. I always like to use cute cookie cutters.
- Put the biscuits on top of the the chicken mixture and then bake according to the biscuit recipe, 12 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Both my husband and I enjoyed this recipe. It did not pass the 4 year old test. Rarely anything SCD legal does.