My yummy lunch for today. Prior to starting SCD I loved broccoli salad. I loved the creamy sweet dressing, the bacon and of course the yummy broccoli. I don’t know why it has taken me almost 3 years to try to adapt a recipe for SCD but it did. I think that it was because I finally had a bunch of broccoli and a batch of homemade mayonnaise made at the same time. The adaption turned out great! The recipe I adapted was Bodacious Broccoli Salad from Allrecipes.com. I made this for dinner last night along with rotisserie chicken and today it is even better after the broccoli has sat in the dressing all night.
SCD Broccoli Salad adpated from Bodacious Broccoli Salad from Allrecipes.com.
- 4 cups of broccoli cut
- 3 slices of cooked bacon (If I had more cooked I would have used more bacon)
- 1 cup of cubed cheddar (cube your own do not buy cubed on SCD)
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1/8 cup of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 TBS of honey
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (make sure it is homemade for SCD)
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Mix the vinegar, honey, black pepper, salt and lemon juice together.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- in a separate bowl toss the broccoli, bacon, cheddar and onion together.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and then mix it all together.
Not SCD or Paleo Chocolate Peeps. While following SCD I allow myself 1 cheat. I am not recommending this and of course I only do this in moderation and only once in a blue moon. My cheat is cocoa. I have it rarely on chocolate filled holidays. The holidays when you walk into a grocery store and you are face with shelf after shelf of chocolate. The holidays when the air smells like chocolate.
While visiting Michael’s craft store with my daughter I saw a Peep silicone mold. I picked it up and decided to make Peep chocolate. The recipe turned out delicious. The chocolate does melt very fast, but it definitely hits the spot. Putting the chocolate in the Peep mold makes for big pieces. They definitely aren’t pieces you can pop in our mouth. The chocolate peeps take several bites to actually finish.
Not SCD Paleo Chocolate Peeps (Adapted from Paleo Mom’s Chocolate-Walnut Fudge)
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil (I used expeller pressed)
- 1/4 Cup butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 cup of cocoa powder
- Melt all the ingredients together except the cocoa powder
- Once the ingredients are melted whisk in the cocoa powder. Continue to whisk until everything is thoroughly combined.
- Pour into molds and put in refrigerator until solid.
- If using a silicone mold, make sure you put it on a cookie sheet. I made the mistake of not doing this and had a chocolate accident.
It’s not about the bunny, or the food or the treats. It is about Jesus Christ and your salvation. That doesn’t mean I can’t celebrate my salvation with yummy food! I have never made an Easter dinner before. I have always wanted too, but with my husband who does not attend church and sees it nothing more than baskets, bunnies & chocolate I never put an effort in making a celebration meal. This year is different. I want to celebrate Easter! I was to celebrate my salvation, the many blessings in my life and enjoy the day with my family after a morning of church, praises, and egg hunts.
Our Easter Menu