Yesterday I started making the Zucchini Bread recipe from Comfy Belly. I pulled out my zucchini out of the 4 I had in my refrigerator 3 were mushy and then the 4th had a brown streak all the way through. Needless to say they all went in the compost pile in the back yard. I decided to improvise and make carrot bread. I was going for more of a carrot cake, but that did not happen. I made several modifications to the Comfy Belly Zucchini Bread recipe. I will post them below.
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I’ll probably add 2 next time)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
1 cup of shredded carrots
I cooked mine for 40 minutes in a brownie pan. Cute in squares and then sliced in half it toasts up nicely and is delicious with warm butter!
I strive to feed my family the best food possible. That is the main reason we have our kitchen garden. Throughout the summer we enjoy fresh food and throughout the winter we enjoy food that we were able to preserve. One of my favorite foods to preserve are cucumber pickles. Right now our garden is producing a lot of cucumbers. So far this year we have made 7 pints of pickle spears. That is about 5-6 lbs of pickles. We still have a bowl of cucumber slices to pickle. The recipe we are using is the Dill Pickle Recipe with Grape Leaves from the Old World Garden Farms website.
I followed the recipe exactly except I did use fresh dill heads from our garden in addition to the dill seed. I wish I could say the dill seed was from our garden but our dill has yet to seed. The grape leaves were also from our garden. Both the dill heads and the grape leaves my husband picked out of our garden with a flash light at 9:30 at night. This is the first year growing grapes so I am excited to try using grape leaves to see if it helps with the crispness of the pickles. In past years I have made delicious pickles, but to be honest they have been mushy.
This pickle recipe is compatible with the specific carbohydrate diet. Every food I eat needs to be compatible with the SCD. Concerning IBD a lot of people recommend fermented foods. I have tried to ferment my own pickles, but I have only ever been able to successfully ferment once and I had such a horrible reaction to the ferment even when introduced slowly that I decided I did not want to waste any more cucumbers from our garden.
In my pre-SCD days I used to love a good casserole. I loved casseroles that were creamy, cheesy, full of noodles and all around not healthy yumminess. For my last grocery shopping order I received a huge bunch of spinach and I needed to find a way to not let any of it go to waste. I came up with a Spinach & Chicken Casserole. It is creamy, cheesy, and I used the Butter Biscuit recipe from Comfy Belly for the top of it. My husband actually liked it and he rarely says that my SCD food is good. I thought I used too much garlic, but he did not think so. Overall, I would make this again.
Spinach & Chicken Casserole
- 2 cups of shredded or diced chicken
- 1 cup of Dripped SCD yogurt
- 1 cup of parmesan cheese
- 1 cup of chopped spinach (packed)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves of minced garlic (I may use 1 next time)
- 1 tsp of dried parsley
- Notes: I dry my own herbs, if you use commercial herbs, make sure they are SCD legal. I think the Penzy brand is legal.
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- Mix all of the ingredients together, chicken, yogurt, cheese, spinach, onion, garlic, pepper, mustard, salt
- Bake for 10 minutes the take out of the oven.
- While it is baking, mix together one recipe of Comfy Belly’s Butter Biscuit recipe.
- Roll out the biscuit recipe and cut out he biscuits. I always like to use cute cookie cutters.
- Put the biscuits on top of the the chicken mixture and then bake according to the biscuit recipe, 12 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Both my husband and I enjoyed this recipe. It did not pass the 4 year old test. Rarely anything SCD legal does.